Friday, July 17, 2009

Quilted Canvas

I am totally in love with this project, and I hope you are too!



This week Lauren gave us all this graphic as our inspiration piece.



Although she pulled out the colours, it is not a requirement that you use these colours. The point is that you take some kind of inspiration from the image. It can be the pattern, texture, shape, colours, anything!

I decided to paint a canvas, inspired partly by the canvases Erika Martin has been promoting lately, that copied the photo as close as I could with the stamps I had on hand. Here's a side by side comparison.



I taped off the different sections and painted them with acrylic paint. I have *really* been loving my paints recently, but I also wanted to make sure I had good coverage on the canvas. All of the stamping was also done with paints.



The sections on the left used Shapes by Design from PTI, and the section on the right uses 3 step Hearts and Roses from Kitchen Sink Stamps. I *love* how easily it is to get roses that have interesting colours and shading with just stamps.

The pink paint is pearlecent, and has a nice shimmer to it. The green centre section has stickles around the circles, and the blue lines on the bottom section are covered in fun flock.



After the canvas was painted, and dried for a night I added the text. The "Sister" was cut out using the Sunset sizzlits alphabet. (it doesn't show up on the Sizzix website, so it may be discontinued)



The rest of the text was stamped with cheap dollar alphabet sets from Michael's and reads, "My Sister a special part of our family fabric"

I know that it is somewhat difficult to read the rest of the text, but I wanted to make sure the background was still really visible.



I will be giving this to my sister before she moves to New Zealand in September with her new husband. She has been living in England for the past year, and is coming back to Canada for a month, primarily to get married, then moving with her husband to set up a life in New Zealand. I want her to have this to know that even though she will be half a world away, we will be thinking of her, and she will know that we value her as a member of our family, and that doesn't change with distance.

I know that when she looks at this Heather will think of me, and our family and that makes me feel great.

Now that I have talked for WAY too long, I hope still have energy to visit the rest of the design team and see their take on the inspiration. The peeks below look AMAZING, and I can't wait to see how everyone else was inspired.





Lauren
Dawn
MacKenzie
Maria
Kendra
Kristin
Tracey
Pam
Jennifer
Odette
Lisa
Dana
Alicia

7 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

Wow!!!! This is so different and so crafty! I love it and I know your sister will too! Fabulous project!

AKiteFlier said...

Tamara this is SO unique and fun. You really were inspired by this piece!! Your sister is very lucky to have such a thoughtful reminder of how much you love her :-)

Dawn Easton said...

Oh, Tamara, your sister is going to love this! I'm loving that you re-created those patterns...FANTASTIC idea!

Kristin Eberline said...

Oh my, Tamara! I love that you painted a canvas for your project. This is simply wonderful and I'm sure your sister will be blown away that you took this time to create something she can cherish forever. What a special gift...I know I would love it :O) Great replication of the patterns from the inspiration piece and I LOVE LOVE LOVE those roses! I really hope they're cheap because I'm off to check them out after this comment :) I also like the the majority of the sentiment is subdued...gives it an antique feel.

I think you're right about the Sunset alphabet being retired. There are a bunch on sale on Ebay CHEAP and Michaels had a clearance on them recently.

DoxieGirl said...

shut up! you are brilliant! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you did here! great reproduction of the inspiration piece!
~Kendra

Judy McMullen said...

Wow! What a wonderful crafty card! Amazing and love how you used the inspiration piece to create your "canvas"! I'm sure your sister will love and cherish it.

Heather said...

I'm sitting in front of my computer crying. Tears streaming down my face. You tell me to read your blog,and them you spoil the surprises! I've already seen 2 cards that you are going to give me. So if I don't get too worked up when you give me the card, know thatI am crying now.

Oh, and my word verification was mange. Oh, the French words.